Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Indirect vs. Direct Characterization


The vignette that I read was called "Papa who wake up tired in the dark" Which is found on pg. 56. I chose "Because I'm the oldest, my father has told me first." as my direct because the narrator is telling the the readers that shes the oldest without giving any clues. This one didn't struck me as much as the indirect sentences because I felt like it was a plain sentence however it did share a lot about her.
For the indirect one I chose "He crumples like a coat and cries." Which is also found on pg.56 This one stood out to me because I really liked how the narrator compared a human being to a crumpled coat, the author gave me a good picture in my head and I also thought of coat being a rain coat because he also cried. It was very effective because it let me knew that her dad was devastated to tell her daughter that her grandpa died.

No comments:

Post a Comment